Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Finally!!!!

Something huge happened to me in my life.  I've been hoping and praying for this day for 7 years and as of Monday it happened.

I realize in our current economic times some people reading this entry may feel I should just be happy with what I have, but are we ever really happy with what we have? 

I work for a company that I love.  Yes Love.  I have invested 10+ years with them, made life-long friends here, am involved in a couple really important (to me) committees. I have seen them grow from a $100M a year to a $3B a year company, but I have been BORED OUT OF MY MIND doing the same job for 10 years.  I came here with approx 7 years experience.  I am an expert in my field.  I do not have any hopes or dreams of being a manager.  I have learned that I do not like to manage people. I like to lead.  Two very different things. I even have a bachelors degree in business management.  However, I am a mom with two young children and I am happy to say I prefer to be an independant contributor. I only have to worry about ME. 

I never wanted to leave the company, I only ever wanted to find something else in the company to do.  Several years ago I interviewed for a couple positions here.  I was over qualified for one and under qualified for the other.  Although I was told I would be good at the latter, the manager did not have the band width (a very over used word here in the Silicon Valley) to train me so she was inclined to hire someone who had already been doing the job for a couple years. *sigh*  There are a also couple positions I know too much about (hellish hours and crazy stress) so I know I do not want to do those. 
I've been very lucky that in 10 years. I've squeaked thru several layoffs.  I'm not the new guy.  It's scary being the new guy.  Seniority doesn't always help but it can't always hurt either.  In these economic times changing companies is not always wise. 

Another reason I have to stay here - when you work here for 10 years you get 5 weeks of PTO (paid time off) AND you get an awesome vacation. You receive an extra week of vacation just for that 10-year vacation along with $4500 to spend for that vacation. They pay for everyone except gifts and souvenirs.  Sweet right?!  Totally.  Now you say, Sandra, you've typed that you've been there 10+ years, why haven't you taken that kick ass vacation yet?  Unfortunately they prorate your time.  I had two children while working here. Maternity leave gets subtracted from your time.  I was off approx 9 months total so my 10 year vacation award isn't really until May/June 2010.  Must. Stick. It. Out. 

It's hard to stick anything out when you no longer want to be there.  It's like nails on a chalkboard.  Seriously. 

A few months ago a part-time (ISO) internal audit position came up here at this company, which would only require me a couple weeks out of every quarter, still enabling me to do my boring regular job. My manager poo poo'd it.  She said it would take me away from my "real" job.  I was upset.  I was frustrated. 

Yes, I did look elsewhere.  I frequented Monster.com and other job sites over the years.  I even sent out a few resume's and got call backs.  The trouble was, I didn't want to leave.  I just wanted a change. 

I finally got what I wanted.  A position was created that relates to what I do, but it's in a completely other section of the company.  I work in finance. This new position was in sales. They needed someone like me and I knew I was their person.  I said many prayers. I tried to do the "Secret" and say lots of positive things like "PICK ME" and "GIVE IT TO SANDRA".  I was desperate!  They interviewed many people. I GOT IT!!!  I start the first week of January.  I'm so happy.  I really am doing happy dances. 

My kids are so sweet.  When they found out they wrote me congratulations notes with big hearts.  My husband just asked if I'm happy.  YES! 

Now the tough part is to not act like a "short-timer" while I finish out the year here in finance. I still have to interact with this department and it's quite possible my new job may some day end up back in finance rather than sales. 

I'M SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: