Thursday, September 9, 2010

I'm sorry....Cleaning my dogs teeth will cost how much?!

Two weeks ago my husband took our dog who is a small 12 lb Lhasa Poo, Rosie, to the vet to have her paw looked at. She'd been messing with her paw for awhile and it needed tending to. They gave her a couple routine shots which were past due, lanced the swollen part on her paw and gave us some antibiotic pills. They looked at her teeth and said she needs a cleaning. Turns out small dogs, even if you brush their teeth, have dental problems.She's 3.5 years old.  We only feed her dry food because I heard wet food causes worse teeth.  There is debate on dry vs. wet by the way.  We feed her good food too.  She eats wheat free, meat is the 1st ingredient, Wellness Brand (or similar brand) dog food. 

I called and made a dental cleaning appointment for today. I take her in.  They ask do you want to add a heart worm test. Sure.  Do you want her bordetella vaccine. Sure. Okay, here is your low estimate.  $850.33!!!!  High Total estimate $981.33!!!! 

Are you serious??  For a dogs teeth?!  Not happening. Honey, I don't even have that much left on my credit card right now after all the dental work I'VE had done lately.  (another post to be written later). 

She apologized and I apologized, then Rosie and I walked out. 

How can it be so much money?  She's a dog!  I have the detailed estimate in front of me.  Let's look shall we? 

Dental Adult Dog Up to 8 years old:
Prep Profile (tests to make sure she's okay to be put under anesthsia).........$81.00
Hospitalization........$29.25
Anesthesia 1st 30 min ............$153.00
Anesthesia Each Add 15 min..........$118.50
Dental Prophy+Fluoride..............$99.25
Extract Tooth Minor...........$33.00
Antiobiotic injection...........$33.50
NSAID w/premed inj............$46.50 (what is this?)
Catheterization IV.................$51.50
Fluids Intravenous.................$17.00
IV Pump...............................$18.50
Oravet Dental Sealant Apply..........$20.25
Oravet Home Care Kit..................$31.31
Dental Vacc #1............................$24.50 ?(????)
Extras:
Bortadella vaccine.......................$25.50
Heartworm Test..........................$35.02

Subtotal:....................................$817.38

What sucks is that her breath is bad because she does need her teeth cleaned. How many regular (not rich) families can really afford to pay for their dogs teeth to get cleaned when it costs SO much?   On a regular basis mind you. It's not like she won't need this done again 3 years after she gets them cleaned. 
I feel bad for her.  I feel bad for us.  I want to do the right thing, really I do, but we can't afford it.  I love Rosie to death but she's a dog, not my child.  I'd scrape the money up for my child but sadly, Rosie falls into the Pet category.

Dental cleanings for dogs need to be cheaper.  Whose with me! 

No comments: