Thursday, August 14, 2008

Texas Caviar Recipe

One of the blogs I've been frequenting lately, Nanny Goats in Panties , has popped over to my side and asked for more details on the Texas Caviar. I'm happy to oblige. :) I also want to point out that her goats on her home page were photographed in my backyard so to speak. I think that's also very cool.

I came across this recipe during a camping trip last year over Labor Day where we met a great family. Our girls all got along great so we hung out the entire time together. Linda, the mom, had this appetizer that I just LOVED and made her send me the recipe. This was my first time making it at our Rollins Lake trip and as I expected, everyone else loved it too.

Texas Caviar
Sauce:
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp pepper
3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup salad oil (I used vegetable oil)
Boil together the above ingredients until sugar is dissolved. Set aside.

Dip:
Combine the following:
2 can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
1 can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can whole white corn, rinsed and drained (I used yellow corn and it was fine)
1 cup red or green bell pepper diced
1 small onion chopped
1-3 tablespoons jalapeno pepper chopped (I used 2 jalapeno peppers and removed all seeds)

Pour sauce over other ingredients. Refrigerate overnight. You can drain the sauce before serving if you want to.
Serve with tortilla chips or scoop chips. (I used scoop chips)

I've looked online and found many variances to this recipe. Some add pimento's and celery, others use green onions, others use the juice of the corn. I'm sure if you play around with this you can find YOUR perfect combination.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Nanny Goats In Panties said...

Thanks for the recipe. I'm totally printing this out. And thanks for the mention!