Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Don't Bite

This Labor Day weekend we were at Pinecrest Lake with a bunch of families. There were 51 of us total. There are no hook-ups (dry camping) but there was the occasional water faucet here and there for convenience of washing dishes for the tent campers.

Todd is now known as GTO. Gadget Todd Obsessed. He brought out his night vision goggles which of course everyone thinks is just so awesome. He did movie night on Saturday and Sunday with the projector and large screen (white shower curtain). We watched Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure on Saturday. It’s just as hilarious 10+ years later and many of the group hadn’t ever seen it. Saturday was Liar Liar with Jim Carey. The lake has an amphitheater that held movies for $6.00/per person each night but my family opted out of that cost expenditure. They had newer movies like Wall-E and Get Smart.

We spent each day down at the beach. There was only 1 section that allowed dogs and many of the families we were with had dogs. We left our Rosie Shmosie with my neighbors at home. The water was cold but shallow near shore so the kids had a blast. We did picnics for lunch which worked out great.

Pinecrest is very DUSTY. My kids were filthy each day. Luckily Shawna wanted to wear the same clothes most of the time so I had limited laundry there but overall my laundry room is packed. My heels are so nasty that I took a scraper to them this morning after my shower. The dirt was stuck in the dry crevices of my heels. TMI

At night the temperature dropped down to 45 degrees one night and daytime was in the mid 80’s. My kids rode scooters & bikes on the roads around the campgrounds with the other children who were with us. Paula met an older lady camping near us with her dog Button who was a 9 year old tiny poodle. So cute. Paula and Shawna were often found over there by her camper petting and getting kisses from Button. Barbara, the woman, reminded me of Todd’s mom a bit. Facial features mostly.

On Sunday almost 50 of us set out at different times to hike the 4 miles around the lake. It’s not paved and has some crazy spots that were tough to maneuver but we all made it. Shawna only needed to be carried on Todd’s shoulders a few times for very short time frames. Paula did great and often lead our pack. I was so proud of them for completing the long tough hike.

The big drama of the weekend was between my Shawna and her little best friend Tyler. The Peppers (her family) are one of our closest friends. Some of you know that I have issues with her and my husbands close relationship but none of that came up this weekend.
The girls all play together so often they often act as siblings how they fight. A few girls were in our trailer hanging out before the night time movie started. Based on my interviews with all involved, Paula and one other girl were bossing Shawna. Shawna started getting angry and tackled Paula in front of the refrigerator. Tyler jumped in to break it up and Shawna bit her hard on the forearm. Todd ran to get her parents and I came up as they were collecting their daughter, who was clearly irritated with us. Shawna got a butt swat by me, and was put in time out on the couch missing the entire movie. I stayed with her where she cried for awhile. She didn't understand why she couldn't watch the movie even though she said sorry. Eventually she fell asleep on the couch.

I left the trailer to find out from everyone involved what had happened. When I found Tyler walking with her dad I leaned down and asked her what happened. Pepper replied with “It doesn’t matter what happened. Shawna shouldn’t bite” Then he went on to say how my girls are always hitting, etc. So I spoke back that just that afternoon I watched Tyler, who for now apparent reason, pinch Shawna, who then responded with pulling Tyler’s hair. He said she learns it from my girls. Well, if that’s so (I’m thinking) quit bringing her over every damn weekend. We all walked off.

Later that night I went over to their campfire and hung out. I asked Susan how Tyler’s arm was doing. She gave me a face that indicated Tyler was okay and I could tell Susan was still very upset by what happened. I wasn’t dropping this. There was a dad of twin 10 year old girls there too who kind of helped my argument that the girls play so much together that they act like siblings so it can get rough. I reminded Susan how just last weekend she had to put Tyler in a time out at my house for pushing or hitting Paula. She replied with, But Sandra, biting is so bad.
I totally agreed, but also asked when has Shawna ever done that before?
Her: “Well, never”.
Me: Exactly, so can we give her a break?”
She let it die and so did I.

Our girls were playing together again the next morning.

I was supposed to be going to Squaw Valley in Lake Tahoe this weekend with a friend and her friends, but her friends all cancelled so she and I decided to postpone to another time.
Just as well. I need a weekend to catch up on all my laundry!

3 comments:

Laura said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laura said...

You know people get very weird about biting. I guess because of the germs, but aside from the germs it's no different than hitting.

I was a biter. Jack was a biter.

It's not the end all worst thing a kid can do. Jeez.

Sorry about the bite and sorry about the reaction too!

Sandra said...

Mouse, thanks.
Both my girls were biters when they were babies. She can also hit for no good reason. It's never okay to hit, but I understand the reaction to hit back if someone hits you.
Honestly, when just two of the girls are together in any combination they get along so much better. Shawna and Tyler are better matched because of their ages. Both of my girls want Tylers full attention and since that's not possible when all 3 are together they can get ugly with each other.
Tyler's arm had a bruise the next day where Shawna bit her.